JSENSE – working with parents, carers and schools
The JSENSE Mission – “to support those educating and caring for Jewish children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).”
JSENSE supports those caring for and educating Jewish children and young people (CYP) with special educational needs (SEND) by
- Maximising their individual educational achievements
- Reducing social isolation and loneliness
- Improving health and well-being through an early intervention approach
All JSENSE activities are adapted to the cultural and religious needs of the Jewish Community.
We are continuing our work supporting parents of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), across the Jewish community and those who support them during the COVD-19 emergency by adapting our current projects and developing new ways of working. We will build on our existing community networks supporting parents and carers of children and young people with SEND.
Our work includes:
- Working with parents by:
- Providing knowledge, information and resources e.g. our website and online Directory of Services
- Consultation communities and experiences that enhance the lives of parents and carers of children & young people with
- Providing a confidential SEND Helpline service supporting parents by listening to their needs, explaining complex systems of SEND and offering timely signposting to services
- Training about supporting their SEND children eg parenting, speech, language and communication delivered by local experts from the community
- Engaging with schools and delivering training and consultancy about SEND to support their SEND children
ACHIEVEMENTS & OUTCOMES
81% school staff said it had improved their knowledge in delivering 1:1 support
92% of schools staff attending our training courses rated the training “Very good” or above
18% school staff noted an exceptional improvement of their skills in delivering 1:1 support & 36% school staff noted a significant improvement of their skills in delivering 1:1 support
100% attendees would attend future JSENSE events & would recommend JSENSE events to others
100% of attendees at our Information & Advice Services event reported an improvement of knowledge of where & how to access help and support as a result of the event, to various degrees – 70% attendees reported that their knowledge of where & how to access help and support was twice as much after the event than before that event
100% teachers in focus groups wish to have SEND training, not just their TAs
73% school staff said they felt more confident running groups for SEND children since the training
100% parents reported a positive personal impact from having the opportunity to be involved in the education sessions development, and felt positive about the support they received from JSENSE
90% attendees reported that the workshop has improved their knowledge of how to support their child with SEND
100% of Parents from our Information Services event rated the speakers as good and above
Evolving a specialist sustainable community – To improve young lives
JSenses‘ aim is to create and evolve a network of specialist‘s who can help and support Jewish children with Special Educational Needs. Our ultimate goal is to help children excel and secure the best that life has to offer. Our support and training programmes provide skills and tools to change lives.
Whole Schools training and development – purpose designed, culturally appropriate and accredited training in SEND awareness and classroom management.
Find Out More…
Skills Training Courses for Parents and Carers- ‘good to know‘ sessions for parents and carers of Jewish children, including sharing common concerns, ELKAN courses and information services.
Find Out More…
The JSENSE Helpline, designed for parents and carers of children and young people with SEND, will be launched in Autumn 2019. This will build on the information provided via our website.
Find Out More…